The Evil Within/Physcobreak observations

(Discuss the game)

Re: The Evil Within/Physcobreak observations

Postby Lazarus753 » May 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Jocifer666 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Here's our first look at the "crossbow":

Which takes me to another point: How can Sebastian carry more than 1 main weapon? From what I've seen, the weapons you carry are visible on Sebastian (Revolver in holster, Shotgun or Crossbow on back)... But the PAX previews said that Sebastian had like 3 main weapons and a side arm. (Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Crossbow, and a revolver).

It's either:

A) You can only carry 1 main weapon (Like a shotgun or a rifle) and the PAX demo had all the weapons for demonstration purposes.

B) You can carry many weapons, and they won't appear on your back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game works in a similar fashion to Manhunt's inventory system- where you could only carry one light weapon (handgun), one heavy weapon (shotgun), one melee weapon, and one trap. If the weapon system worked in that fashion, or in some similar way, it would limit your resources significantly- it would be the polar opposite of freely being able to carry a suitcase worth of weapons at any time. It would also make you choose wisely which weapons you hold onto, and which ones you store for later. It would make the player ask questions like: which trap should I take, which should I leave, what happens if I take the shotgun....But really needed the crossbow or sniper rifle?

I'm definitely hoping that something like this is the case
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby Rikitatsu » May 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I hope I can at least carry two main weapons... The Crossbow seemed like a unique weapon that works best with a combination of other weapons, like in the PAX demo at some point, the player used a freezing bolt on an enemy with the Crossbow, then blew him apart with a Shotgun blast.

But carrying one main and one secondary (handgun) seems best for a Survival Horror, though.
Rikitatsu

Postby Jocifer666 » May 24, 2014 12:43 am

I'm sure the system will work something like that regardless, whether it's a primary and a subweapon and a trap, or just two weapons and a trap.

I finally thought of a plot where the family are all of the monsters we encounter. I

First, let's go to the ailing doctor- who implicates Ruvick in the massacre. I have a very odd prediction that he is the main antagonist of the game. Remember that creepy concept art, where it has the Doctor from the beginning smiling while smoking? Just from that, and from inspiration from Prison, I believe that he is going to be the Oswell E Spencer of the game, who is responsible for all of the tortures and experiments and monstrous creations in the asylum. The Doctor is the new head of Beacon, and he has just discovered lost notes dictating a series of risky experiments done by the hospital's past administration. These notes span at least a century, if not more. Although the procedures went horribly awry, they interest the doctor greatly because they could work, in his eyes. So he gradually becomes obsessed with them and decides to try and revive these experiments for human enhancement himself.

However, he needs to convince The Family- the owners of Beacon and it's estate- to fund said experiments. One day, he kills The Daughter- and makes it look like she was raped and murdered by various inmates of the Asylum. He tells the family about these theories and how they can save her. They agree and decide to fund the project, in hopes of bringing their daughter back.

After beginning his experiments, The Doctor tells the family that he needs specimens incredibly similar to Laura's...So he starts to experiment on the family. It is there that he exploits them for his own means. The Mother becomes The Water Monster- since it bares an uncanny resemblance to RE Bone Laura. The Father becomes The Keeper- who is a Reanimator style entity, that holds all of the extra limbs and inverted lobotomy material in his vault (such as the barbed wire). And we all know who Re Bone Laura is.

Now Ruvick/ The Hooded Man was the final family member to be experimented on. I believe that he escaped the mental asylum, before he could succumb to the same horrible fate as his family. He escaped to a young Sebastian's house. The two bonded briefly, before the authorities caught up with Ruvick and brought him back to Beacon- where he met his grisly fate. Ruvick has always hated Sebastian ever since, and decides to plot his revenge.

With that being said, I believe that the marjority of TEW is Ruvick's elaborate revenge on Sebastian. He wants him to feel all of the pain that he felt all of those years. Somehow, Ruvick was able to alter all of the experiments and made them go awry. And now they are running amok all over the asylum.

I believe that Sebastian is infected by the serum or whatever Ruvick was given. I believe that Ruvick is the only enemy holding off trying to kill Sebastian- because he wants him to suffer. To kill him would make it too easy. Now, why are all of the other enemies still trying to kill him? I believe they can't sense that he is infected. Perhaps only Ruvick can, in the early stages of this infection?

And why is there the Winchester House morphing components? I believe these are Sebastian hallucinating about the asylum's past- as he witnesses all of the past horrors taking place on the asylum grounds....Eventually he learns what happened here and figures out who the culprit is (The Doctor) and tries to go after them.

I'm hoping for multiple endings, where the game ends based on how you played. Perhap Seb recovers and merely arrests The Doctor. Perhaps he doesn't become cured and kills the Doctor himself in his mutated form. Perhaps he lets Ruvick and the family have their revenge, and thus leaves him at their mercy. It's all very exciting.

Obviously, I can't wait for the embargo to break :D.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Favorite Title: Psycho Break

Postby Rikitatsu » May 24, 2014 1:55 am

If you are referring to the concept art with the old man smoking a cigarette, then unfortunately it's a VERY old concept art from Tango's early days... That's before Project ZWEI/The Evil Within materialized. Same goes for the concept art released at that time (The little bug creatures, monster with claws, etc...)

While I think there could be Sci-Fi elements in the story, I believe it will mostly be supernatural...Sebastian wasn't infected with anything when he saw Ruvick teleporting (and being transparent), so yeah... There is that.
Rikitatsu

Postby Jocifer666 » May 24, 2014 2:05 am

I actually didn't realize that about the concept art, I was curious what they were. Interesting.

I'm still on the fence about there being supernatural elements in the game- since that's generally not a theme for Mikami driven Survival Horror games. The similarities the game shares to 3.5 make me wonder if there will be though. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James.
Jocifer666

Postby Rikitatsu » May 24, 2014 2:11 am

Jocifer666 wrote:I actually didn't realize that about the concept art, I was curious what they were. Interesting.

I'm still on the fence about there being supernatural elements in the game- since that's generally not a theme for Mikami driven Survival Horror games. The similarities the game shares to 3.5 make me wonder if there will be though. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I know I'll be upset if it was just "IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD!" in the end, I'd rather have something supernatural than that.

Of course I'd have preferred Sci-Fi from the beginning, but it doesn't seem feasible considering all the stuff that's happening to Sebastian.
Rikitatsu

Postby Jocifer666 » May 24, 2014 2:17 am

I doubt that will happen. I think the fact that the prequel comic has Box Man on the cover, as well as the implication that Dana may somehow experience something very similar to Seb's journey, ruins that theory. Now if this was Capcom, this would be a different matter heh heh.

If Seb is indeed infected, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the imaginings he experiences aren't real- but I have a feeling that the majority of them will be...Whether it's by Supernatural occurrences, a dash of Sci Fi, or a little bit of both.
Jocifer666

Postby remedy2000 » May 24, 2014 12:56 pm

there was a mikami interview where he said something about their being some shiny hi tech environments to appeal to the sci-fi crowd.

the resident evil games generally end in scientific lab locations, expect the same thing from this.
remedy2000

Postby Lazarus753 » May 24, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm personally hoping that the story goes in a supernatural direction. That would be awesome :)
"Whoever first thought of killing someone with a chainsaw was a genius."
– Shinji Mikami
Lazarus753
Leatherface

Favorite Title: The Evil Within
PSN: Lazarus753
Steam: Lazarus753

Postby ghostcall » May 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Since the game relates to the brain theme.

Brain experiments by beacon mental hospital and ruavik(spelling?) has exposed brain.

i assume story has something to do with "humans use only 10% of their brains and what if they used 100% of their brain."
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak