Real Time vs Pause Menu

(Discuss the game)

Which would you like to see Psycho Break use?

Real Time Inventory Management
38%
Pause Menu Inventory Management
63%

Total votes : 16

Real Time vs Pause Menu

Postby Yama » Apr 21, 2013 12:47 pm

The classic question, tensions versus frustration.

Personally, the inventory menu (didn't pause the timer) in Biohazard games never took me out of the tension. If anything, it'd only delay the inevitable. It was exploitable in ways that the player could heal and such before taking a critical blow.

Real time is great, as long as it is 110% seamless and not clunky. There is nothing worse than running from an enemy fumbling through extraordinarily long lines filled with items and such.

Pick your poison.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: Real Time vs Pause Menu

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 21, 2013 1:50 pm

RE5's inventory system rustled my jimmies severely. But I suppose its a given to design it that way since its an online (co-op) game, and you can't pause that.

One of the screenshots from The Evil Within shows Sebastian with a Shotgun on his back, so I assume there will be at least real-time weapon switching, though I will greatly appreciate a paused inventory to sort my items and everything else.

So yeah, I vote for Pause Menu Inventory Management.
Rikitatsu

Postby Spera01 » Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

My nostalgia of the old RE titles makes me definitely want a pause inventory system. Like you said Yama, I found that the pause system never took away from the tension and only ended up delaying it if anything. However, like camera angles, this too seems to be dying off so I'm not sure what the likelihood of us seeing it is.

A real time inventory management I would be fine with too, as long as it was implemented well. I actually liked the way it was set up in RE5. The grid where you can assign certain items to slots that were selectable via d-pad was great. Once you got the hang of it, switching to weapons/items on the fly was no problem. I absolutely despise the inventory system in RE6 however. They took the organized grid and stretched it out into one long horizontal line for items and a vertical line for weapons. No longer do you have the organized 3x3 grid and are now left with one long list that you have to sort through until you get to the right item. Hopefully if The Evil Within does have a real time inventory, I hope its more similar to RE5 than RE6.

I wonder if we'll see an "item box" type system in the game where we can put our extra weapons and items? This is something I'd certainly like to see and would be another nice nod.
Spera01

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Apr 21, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm in favor of a pause menu, because it's great to catch your breath after a tense moment. In both REmake and Resi 4, if an enemy pops up from around the corner and catches me off-guard, I instantly go to the inventory to think what I'm gonna do, either fight or flight. Sort of feels like an RPG, and pausing gives me the time to think out my strategy when its my "turn"
ProgenitorCastle

Postby CandyLander » Apr 21, 2013 7:13 pm

I don't really like the kind of menu that pauses the game because you can just use it and it completely drives away the horror. while in a menu where the game keeps going if you use it, you're actually afraid to use the menu.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby Blood-Curse62 » Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I hope a inventory like Resident Evil Outbreak, we "think we open" the inventory and not "open and think"
I hope too a reloading bullet by bullet if we haven't a magazine, it's the true survival :o

The inventory of Resident Evil 5 est too easy, you can do a QTE and quick reload your weapons during the animation of the hit
I'm french so I'm sorry if there are mistakes in my posts
Blood-Curse62

Postby hess » Apr 22, 2013 1:24 am

I think Evil Within should definitely use real time! It brings more intensity. Panicking and using the real time inventory while someone/something is coming at you is good scary fun^^

A paused inventory is too easy and boring..
»Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft.«
GOETHE: FAUST – DER TRAGÖDIE ERSTER TEIL, 1808

hess

Postby Onestand » Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

hess wrote:A paused inventory is too easy and boring..

Oh come on... :)
Onestand

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 22, 2013 2:10 am

Can't we have both? For example you go to a paused inventory, and assign certain weapons/items on the D-Pad as shortcuts to use in real time, everything else is in the paused inventory.
Rikitatsu

Postby King of all Segatas » Apr 22, 2013 2:23 am

Rikitatsu wrote:Can't we have both? For example you go to a paused inventory, and assign certain weapons/items on the D-Pad as shortcuts to use in real time, everything else is in the paused inventory.

I like this idea despite its heresy.
King of all Segatas

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak