Mental Asylum = Hub?

(Discuss the game)

Mental Asylum = Hub?

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Was watching the IGN talk video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQgH3TMPBw

It basically says the same stuff written in the Impression article, but something caught my interest:
When Sebastian was shooting at the creatures in the abandoned cottage, he then proceeded to a hallway, that hallway suddenly transformed and a river of blood drowned Sebastian, after he woke up he found himself back in the Mental Asylum (Where the game begins).

I'm thinking the Mental Asylum might be like a Hub world, you get transferred to different locations, and then when you finish you return to the Mental Asylum. It would explain the variety of locations we've seen in the concept art (Castles, Modern buildings, villages, Caves, Ships).

To be honest, I won't like this at all. One of the best things about RE4 was the sense of progression and how connected the world is, proceeding from the village to the castle felt very natural and adventurous.

I suppose its too early to say in any case, but I think its an interesting observation.
Rikitatsu

Re: Mental Asylum = Hub?

Postby Zero » Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Wait, I don't understand,

like ZombiU?
Zero

Favorite Title: Resident Evil GC
PSN: FiXalaS
Wii U: Zero97

Postby Spera01 » Apr 22, 2013 3:55 pm

There seems to be a strong supernatural presence in this game, so this makes sense. However, like you Rikitatsu, I'm not a huge fan of it either. I prefer the environments to be all connected. One of my favorite things about the old Resident Evil games and some other survival horror games was that they weren't entirely linear. You still had the chance to go back to other areas that you were in previously if you thought you missed something or just weren't sure what to do.

This doesn't seem like its the case with this game but then again, who knows. I did read in the IGN impressions that the game is supposed to apparently open up later on, so maybe areas will actually be connected in some way or something?
Spera01

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Zero wrote:Wait, I don't understand,

like ZombiU?

I never played ZombiU so I can't say.

It's like this, the Mental Asylum (Where the game begins, and Sebastian is knocked unconscious) transfer you (either supernaturally or psychologically) to different locations like Castles, Ports, Villages... Once you clear those levels, you return back to the Mental Asylum and go to another location. (Most likely its not your choice).

Maybe this "dark force" they talked about is in the asylum, and it plays with Sebastian mind by sending him to different locations.

Sorry if It's still not clear.
Rikitatsu

Postby Zero » Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Zero wrote:Wait, I don't understand,

like ZombiU?

I never played ZombiU so I can't say.

It's like this, the Mental Asylum (Where the game begins, and Sebastian is knocked unconscious) transfer you (either supernaturally or psychologically) to different locations like Castles, Ports, Villages... Once you clear those levels, you return back to the Mental Asylum and go to another location. (Most likely its not your choice).

Maybe this "dark force" they talked about is in the asylum, and it plays with Sebastian mind by sending him to different locations.

Sorry if It's still not clear.

Ah I see, doesn't this idea make it seem like a linear game?

I hope this isn't the deal.
Zero

Favorite Title: Resident Evil GC
PSN: FiXalaS
Wii U: Zero97

Postby Mr. Sean » Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm not sure I would put a whole ton of stock into the concept art. After all, I think we can be sure this guy isn't showing up.

Personally, I would hope the game is structured like the old Resident Evils where you're not given much clues as to what to do and the game kind of unfolds itself as you explore instead of being tossed in a hub and choosing to go to a specific area to tackle some set objective.
"There'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex."
Mr. Sean
What A Guy!

Postby Yama » Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm

What he's explaining sounds exactly like Demon's Souls and to a lesser extent Fatal Frame 3. I could see that working in the way of offering tons of variation and not being limited by a setting. However I feel that with the right design direction, such things could be offered while remaining grounded. Personally I'd rather the setting be an actual location that offers these types of areas and has the player traveling to them. Being grounded to reality makes a horror game more believable and in my opinion actually scary to some degree. That's not to say the other more super natural approach wouldn't work, it's just not my first choice.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby PanamaRed » Apr 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Mr. Sean wrote:I'm not sure I would put a whole ton of stock into the concept art. After all, I think we can be sure this guy isn't showing up.

Personally, I would hope the game is structured like the old Resident Evils where you're not given much clues as to what to do and the game kind of unfolds itself as you explore instead of being tossed in a hub and choosing to go to a specific area to tackle some set objective.

Maybe he was the main character at some point but got scraped and now we have Sebastian. Kinda like how it happened with RE4.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Mr. Sean wrote:I'm not sure I would put a whole ton of stock into the concept art. After all, I think we can be sure this guy isn't showing up.

Let's put the concept art aside for a bit.
The guy is near a cottage and then he passes out and returns to the Mental Asylum.

I think this probably means:

-A) Each time you pass out you revisit the asylum again, but you return to the location you passed out in (In this case, the cottage)

OR

-B) The Asylum acts as a hub that sends you to different areas and locations.

OR

-C) Something else we haven't thought about. :P
Rikitatsu

Postby Cyberote » Apr 22, 2013 10:55 pm

I don't think this will be the case. I hope not at least. Usually in games with hub worlds, you have to complete a level or mission to be returned to it. In the demo, it just said the second part of the demo started with Sebastian on his way to a cabin or something. He killed a few enemies, then the blood came down and took him back to the asylum. I wouldn't think a mission/level would be completed with the simple dispatching of a few enemies.

Maybe the blood and teleportation was scripted just for the demo to wrap things up. Maybe it's a different asylum altogether. Or maybe it's a temporary scare tactic to make you think "Oh shit I'm back where I started!" or something. I don't know, but I really don't want a hub world. Like others have said, I want it to be more grounded with the areas all connecting to give us a sense of exploration and progress.

Then again, most games with hub worlds don't let you directly leave them. In the demo, it's said that Sebastian ran out into the streets. Most hub worlds that I've seen (I have Crash Bandicoot in mind) are just a room or a series of rooms with doorways or warps that teleport you.

I hope they release the demo footage some time soon.
Cyberote

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak