Mental Asylum = Hub?

(Discuss the game)

Re: Mental Asylum = Hub?

Postby Yama » May 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:@Cyberote: You and me both, but its becoming less and less likely each time we get new info, so we better start getting used to the idea of a hub.

Make that three of us. I too would like the game to be grounded in reality, though it's fairly obvious that it isn't and I'm already accepting that. Back when Fatal Frame III came out I was a little disappointed that the home was a hub of sorts into the main characters dreams, but it's the atmosphere and environment in the dreams that ultimately sucked you in. What I'm trying to say is that with a fantastic art direction, atmosphere and detailed environment, it doesn't matter how the areas are accessed, once there you're emotionally committed.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Cyberote » May 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Yama wrote:What I'm trying to say is that with a fantastic art direction, atmosphere and detailed environment, it doesn't matter how the areas are accessed, once there you're emotionally committed.

I whole-heartedly agree with you there. The hub thing was a bit disappointing at first, but it's only a slight flaw that I can easily get over. There's still a whole game of survival horror waiting for us. I'm not going to let something as miniscule as a hub world affect my judgement or excitement for this game.
Cyberote

Postby CandyLander » May 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I havent read all pages, but from what i've read in the first page, some people are saying this makes the game linear.

but it's actually the opposite> If we're going to be taken time after time back to the mental asilum, it means the mental asylum must be kind of like the mansion in RE1, where it's a huge place that gets explored little by little, untill you've seen it all. that makes it not linear.
Lost in the fog
CandyLander

Postby Rikitatsu » May 19, 2013 6:28 am

^ Agree with this. A lot of the people who saw the demo said the Asylum reminds them a bit of RE1... I think its going to be explore-able, it might be a hub, but that doesn't mean there won't be enemies or threats (After all, the Chainsaw Wielding Giant Butcher was in the Asylum as well)
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » May 19, 2013 11:24 am

That would be excellent and I too can see this. A lot of people mistake a central hub as a menu of sorts (Demon's Souls), when it can in fact be explorable and perhaps even the biggest area in the game.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby ProgenitorCastle » May 27, 2013 1:14 pm

CandyLander wrote:I havent read all pages, but from what i've read in the first page, some people are saying this makes the game linear.

but it's actually the opposite> If we're going to be taken time after time back to the mental asilum, it means the mental asylum must be kind of like the mansion in RE1, where it's a huge place that gets explored little by little, untill you've seen it all. that makes it not linear.

This idea of a hub sounds reminiscent of Super Mario 64. The main castle=the asylum, and the different paintings=the hallucinations, presumably portals to different "worlds" indicated by the concept arts in Tango's office. If it is like that, where you slowly unlock the main area (the Castle for SM64, and the asylum in The Evil Within), not only are we in for a fully-explorable, non-linear game, but were in for a lengthly game as well!

I hope that's what's implied by a hub world :lol:
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Rikitatsu » May 29, 2013 5:10 pm

When I asked the producers if the mental institution was a gateway to hell, they did admit it was a "gate" of some supernatural sort.

http://www.411mania.com/games/previews/ ... dXL0gcP.99

Welp...
Rikitatsu

Postby Rikitatsu » Jun 03, 2013 3:57 am

I just found out the asylum's official name:
"Beacon Mental Hospital"
Rikitatsu

Postby Cyberote » Jun 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Beacon Mental Hospital... a beacon of... EVIL!

THE EVIL WITHIN...
Cyberote

Postby zombz » Jun 05, 2013 6:31 am

Beacon Mental Hospital? I like! ;)
zombz
Zombz

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

PreviousNext

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak