About patterns and random elements

(Discuss the game)

About patterns and random elements

Postby kosmos within » Apr 23, 2013 8:20 am

From the IGN article:

“Horror as a genre has a set number of patterns, and the more time you spend with those patterns the more you get used to them. And the more used to those patterns a person is, the harder it is to scare them and do something above and beyond and original.”

Is he talking about having random "horror" elements in the game, for example rooms having different "scary" things based on a randomizer to keep the game fresh, or it's he talking in general about the horror games and the way they lose the novelty after you play them once?.
Last edited by kosmos within on Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kosmos within

Re: About patterns and random elements

Postby Rikitatsu » Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am

I suppose he meant not using a scare tactic over and over, like Dead Space for example, it used a lot of sudden startles, at first it was rather scary, but as the game went on, I personally thought it became predictable, and the game stopped being scary at that point.
Rikitatsu

Postby Yama » Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

A few scripted events are fine, but I'm hoping the bulk of them are either non-scripted or randomized.

Think if Biohazard Rebirth was as so. Let's use the dog hallway as an example. On one playthrough there are no dogs, another they jump through the window, another they jump through only when you come from the northern wing, another time they're already in the hallway, etc. The amount of tension would never become fully predictable with a small A-D set up.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby kosmos within » Apr 24, 2013 12:50 am

That's what I want too, I guess it's not feasible to make every room in the game like that, but it will be a nice feature that will make the game "fresh" after you played it 2 or 3 times.
kosmos within

Postby FadedBlackangel » Apr 24, 2013 2:29 am

I think he's just talking about the "horror" genre in general.

He's saying that the entire genre as a whole has become predictable and that it gets increasingly difficult to create a game equally, or more scary, with each successive game due to the fact that as the player plays games/watches movies, they get used to the different "tactics" used to scare them.

The random factor would keep the tension high but to truly shock, surprise, or scare a person with an idea that is completely original becomes incredibly difficult as more and more games/ movies are released.

Basically, you can only have a zombie dog jump through a window so many times. :lol:

PSN: FadedBlackangel
XBL: FadedBlackangel
Wii U: FadedArchangel

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak