Realism

(Discuss the game)

Realism

Postby Yama » Nov 04, 2012 1:27 am

I don't think there is any once sense of realism in a horror title that isn't scary, but which of these in specific do you think Zwei should or will tackle?

Mikami's Biohazard early on was always supposed to feel grounded to reality, which in a sense is the most scary, as it feels it could actually happen.

Games like Silent Hill are highly psychological and play with both the protagonist and players minds.

Other series such as Fatal Frame / Project Zero are based around super natural events such as spirits and the like.

Do you hope to see Mikami work outside of his so called comfort zone, or should he do what he's already done well?
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Re: Realism

Postby i.am.no.law » Nov 04, 2012 1:46 am

Honestly iv'e found myself drifting more towards the psychological aspect of horror games (namely silent hill) as not only do i feel they create a better story, but also because the atmosphere of the games have been quite strong. I love that feeling that the world is against you, that youre in a nightmare of your own creation, youre own personal hell. I love having my mind played with, with little nods that are only given relevance in the end, silent hill 2 did this very well.

However, im fine with any of the three. I believe iv'e seen some concept art of some terrifying monsters, so id be inclined to say it might not go for the total realism aspect, but id be fine if they did.

Id hope beyond anything though that there is a psychological element in some way, it doesnt need to be just like silent hill, but to play with the players/protagonists mind, or creating that feeling of did i just see that, id love that, as i feel it creates the strongest atmosphere.
What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end.
PSN: wander-forever
360: valkyriesoulblu
WIIU: (To be announced, after zelda launches)
i.am.no.law

Postby Yama » Nov 04, 2012 2:01 am

Interesting you say that considering the third beta build of Biohazard 4 was seemingly just that. Perhaps some of that original concept will be included in a different manner.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby Agent Wong » Nov 04, 2012 2:03 am

I'm hoping that he can take elements and ideas from his past success and blend them with the next gen technology to come up with something truly amazing.

I have a hard time coming up with things to say that haven't already been said (like nobody has noticed this before). I would like to see varied elements play a part in this game, possibly rain, dark buildings to sunlight, and vice versa. There doesn't always have to be hordes of enemies to make the game tough. Throw one bad guy in a dark room after you have just come out of the daylight and boom you have problems picking that bad guy up and dealing with him. Possibly you are captured by the group behind whatever problem we are to deal with and given various chemical that hinder your perception and ability to deal with situations. Give you a pistol with 12 rounds and there are 20 enemies and various objects about the place.

Take what you like out of this, but everyone's idea of scary is different. Myself personally, going down a dark alley in a place you aren't familiar with in the middle of the night can be quite scary enough.
Agent Wong

Postby Biohazard » Nov 04, 2012 2:08 am

If Mikami is working the same way like biohazard 3.5 i guess he'll use
the players mind to show horror.
Biohazard 3.5 we have an infected Leon and supernatural events.
Some pictures of zwei looking the same way.

Remember the living dolls who attack Leon?
thats exactly what i want!! :D
________________Resident Evil 5 Playtime: 506hrs 54min 52sec_______________
________________Resident Evil 6 Playtime: 102hrs 28min 25sec_______________
Biohazard

Postby i.am.no.law » Nov 04, 2012 4:30 am

Yama wrote:Interesting you say that considering the third beta build of Biohazard 4 was seemingly just that. Perhaps some of that original concept will be included in a different manner.

I could only hope, I did think there were some very creative ideas in that build, a blend of the psychological is always appreciated by myself, and I feel it often goes a long way towards building tension. Not that I hated what we ended up with, but I have always wondered 'what if" in regards to that build.

Im truly excited to learn what style he goes for, or the hybrid style that is chosen.
What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end.
PSN: wander-forever
360: valkyriesoulblu
WIIU: (To be announced, after zelda launches)
i.am.no.law

Postby SinX » Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I can remember a time when Playing RE directors cut and my friend got bit by the snake at the same time his pager went off and he gripped his leg and screamed as if he felt the snake bite. That feeling of being so into whats happening for a game that anything around you will help to freak you out is rare. RE hasn't scared me since RE2 and I had to move on to silent hill to continue to enjoy survival horror games as I think they should be but even Silent hill has lost a bit of that over the years. Hybrid style gets my vote because I think it will be good to catch the players off guard since you expect him to stick to what he knows.
Wait what? lol oh that's just your face my bad.
SinX

Postby Ryudo » Nov 04, 2012 11:45 pm

They need to find the best sound design team they can hire. Maybe just me but nothing scares me more than subtle sounds saying to myself WTF WAS THAT!? Full 7.1
Ryudo

Postby Cyberote » Nov 05, 2012 1:53 am

I'd prefer a mix of realistic and psychological. Nothing freaks me out more than seeing a dead body in an area, leaving, and coming back to see that the body is gone. I love it and hate it at the same time. You never know what's going to happen. Has the body arisen? Is it shambling around here somewhere? Or was it dragged away by some other horror? Something like that would amaze me.
Cyberote

Postby Spera01 » Nov 05, 2012 6:23 am

I want both. I want creatures that are grounded into reality and not paranormal but I also want hallucinations or unexplained stuff to happen as well. Psychological terror is also very welcome. The main thing though, I want to feel dread. I want to hear the horrors in other rooms. If they're above me, I want to hear thumping, growling, moaning, etc.I want to actually fear running into one of them. I also want to just be scared to turn into the next room. This hasn't happened to me since REmake and is something that I'd love to experience again.
Spera01

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak