BlackSoul: "Inspired by Resident Evil"

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: BlackSoul: "Inspired by Resident Evil"

Postby Kyosuke_Sanada » Aug 01, 2013 1:42 pm

The lead character reminds me of Keats from Folklore. But I'd love to give the game a try.
Kyosuke_Sanada
Hentaiologist

Favorite Title: Dino Crisis
PSN: Sanada_Kyosuke
Steam: Sanada_Kyosuke

Postby Yama » Aug 09, 2013 2:40 pm

I wish it were a little less stiff, because it takes away from what seems to be an awesome atmospheric game. Either way, I'll save judgement until I play the demo. Will download later today.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Postby ghostcall » Feb 28, 2014 10:41 am

black soul was released on steam!
ghostcall

Favorite Title: Resident Evil

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Jun 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Finally able to play this game.

So far, so good! What stood out to me so far:

-The puzzles. They satisfied me, and made me scratch my head figuring out how to solve them.

-The ability to switch between fixed camera angle and over-the-shoulder. Every now and then, I would switch between the two, which allows me to see details I would otherwise miss.

-Moving while attacking, a feature I'm not used to seeing in a fixed-camera survival horror game.
ProgenitorCastle

Postby Nemesis85 » Jun 02, 2014 12:48 am

ProgenitorCastle wrote:Finally able to play this game.

So far, so good! What stood out to me so far:

-The puzzles. They satisfied me, and made me scratch my head figuring out how to solve them.

-The ability to switch between fixed camera angle and over-the-shoulder. Every now and then, I would switch between the two, which allows me to see details I would otherwise miss.

-Moving while attacking, a feature I'm not used to seeing in a fixed-camera survival horror game.

I have not played the game yet, can you elaborate more on the puzzles? are they like classic RE where you have to rearrange things or put items in the right place or ... ? And, can you tell us a little bit about the plot?
Nemesis85

Postby ProgenitorCastle » Jun 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Some of the puzzles...are different from the classic survival horror puzzles, since you interact directly with them using the mouse. It feels different from the puzzles from the older games (in a good way), which relied more on text to pick choices, such as the clock puzzle from REmake: "Which clock hand do you want to rotate?" "Rotate left or right?"

Also, there are puzzles where you have to collect items and place them in the right place. To be specific, there's a place where there are 4 empty slots...to find the objects needed, the player has to explore their surroundings to find them and put them in place.

Straight from the BlackSoul IndieDB page regarding the nature of the puzzles:

"SURVIVAL OF THE SMARTEST"
Puzzles are another important feature. You need to find one ore more items to be used together in order to activate a device or free a passage (or anything else); in this case you must find all the items you need (this will force you to explore accurately each level) and then use them in the right way. Often you'll only need to use your brain or your senses. For example, you should figure out how to open a safe by reading a document. Some puzzles require a more detailed perspective (for example, to open a safe you must rotate the handles). In this case we use the point-and-click system, something like graphic adventure (camera close to the object and a little hand to perform action).

As for the plot, it is somewhat of a personal story. The game opens with a letter from the protagonist Sean's sister, Ava, who is a journalist. She traveled to a dangerous village in order to expose what is going on. In the letter, Ava told her brother she's going there, and that he can't intervene. I get the impression they had an argument over it and she went ahead regardless of her brother's disapproval. Ava set out to expose what is going on in the village, while Sean is on a journey to find her before she does something too reckless.
ProgenitorCastle

Previous

Return to Off Topic