Bethesda being awesome

(Discuss the game)

Bethesda being awesome

Postby Rikitatsu » Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Sounds like Mikami (hopefully) found his ideal publisher, here is some quotes from a number of interviews:

Joining the ZeniMax family puts me in a situation where I can leave the more boring details of that to other people. I'm trying not to expect too much, but I do feel that this is a chance for me to keep working in the front lines of development."

"Another big factor," he continued, "was in the way they are willing to wait for good games to happen. They basically said to me 'Make what you want to make the most, because that's what will sell the best,' and I really appreciated that. They can say that because they've had so much success with that approach. If you didn't have experience with making that work as a manager, that's when you start meddling with projects and trying to protect your investment -- which I can understand, since these are multi-million dollar projects. Having the patience, however, to see projects take their own course, is what makes a managerial team truly great."

"I had been looking for a new business partner before all this, so I contacted ten or so companies during E3, both Japanese and elsewhere," he told Famitsu magazine this week. "Bethesda was the best match among them because they gave us the most independent development environment to work with as we pursue our goal of producing Japanese games that work worldwide -- that, and their track record when it comes to overseas sales."

The way that Mikami puts it, working with Bethesda was a decision he didn't lose any sleep over. "Playing their stuff, you can really tell that they're willing to take whatever time is needed to make great games," he said. "It shows that their management and financial strength is such that they're able to let that process happen. That was my first impression, and it was a positive one. Development costs are important, of course, but there's always a risk you have to accept when you're trying to make something good and also sellable. Hedging your risks and concentrating strictly on the known factors is one thing, but seeing a company continually try to push the envelope really fits what we're trying to do."

Hearing all this, it's no surprise that Tango is working on a new project for Bethesda -- the sort of AAA title that the publisher's known for, of course. "That's the only sort of title we're interested in," Takahashi (from Bethesda) said. "Any such project is going to involve tens of millions of dollars either way, so instead of cutting dev time and features and hoping for a million copies sold, it's better to take your time, make something great, and aim for five million instead. We believe that there's actually less risk when you do it that way."

"Knowing that, of course, makes me want to put all of my experience, my energy, and everything else I've got into this game. I'm pretty lucky that [ZeniMax] was willing to accept that, too. Too many publishers are only interested in the very near future, after all."

Hopefully they don't bare their fangs later in the development, but what we've heard so far, the freedom they are offering, their philosophy regarding publishing games, their track record in marketing, all sounds good! Mad props to Bethesda!

http://www.1up.com/news/shinji-mikami-d ... g-bethesda
http://www.1up.com/news/shinji-mikami-d ... ident-evil
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... s-director
UNDER MEDIA BLACKOUT
Rikitatsu

Re: Bethesda being awesome

Postby Spera01 » Dec 14, 2012 10:59 pm

This is awesome. Definitely makes me more excited for Zwei! Unlike Capcom, Bethesda won't rush the project, which gives me hope that Zwei will indeed be one awesome game.
Spera01

Postby wude » Dec 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Great news, bethesda is a good choice :)
wude

Postby Yama » Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Great thread and great to hear.
Yama
Since 1996...
Site Admin

Favorite Title: Biohazard '96

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

Some great quotes from an interview with Pete Hines (Bethesda) a few months ago:

Atomic: You’ve got the FPS legends, you’ve got the RPG powerhouse; are you guys thinking about dominating any other genres? Perhaps RTS, something like that?

Pete: You know what, honestly, we don’t think about it in terms of, ‘Well, here’s our RPG for the year. And what’s going to be our FPS?’ It’s just sort of like going to Raphael [Colantonio] and Harvey [Smith] and saying, ‘What do you guys want to make?’ That’s the conversation that we had with them years ago. That’s where Dishonored came from. Dishonored didn’t come out of, like, ‘Well, we’ve got FPS covered, and we’ve got RPG covered. Can you do some kind of stealthy action thing?’ It was just more of, ‘What do you guys want to do? What are you passionate about? What are your ideas?’ They said, ‘We want to do this.’ And we said, ‘Okay. Go! What do you need from us? Make that happen.’ We go to Shinji [Mikami], and we don’t say, ‘Okay, Shinji, you’re going to check our horror box for us.’ It’s like, ‘Hey, Shinji, you’ve been making games for a long time. Where’s your passion now? What is it you really want to do?’ He says, ‘I want to do X.’ How can we help? That’s really where our focus lies: finding people who have a passion for something they want to do, and then giving them all the tools to do it. It’s not to say if Todd Howard showed up today and said, ‘Okay, I want to make an RTS,’ that we wouldn’t say, ‘What? Really?!’ But at the same time, would you bet against Todd Howard making a great RTS? No. He’s not going to make an RTS, but our philosophy is not to try and pigeonhole anybody. Do what you’re good at, do what makes you excited, and then let’s do that to the best level possible and we’ll go do the next thing.

Atomic: You’ve mentioned the informal collaboration you have between studios, but do you have any centralised tech that’s shared between studios?

Pete: Yeah, we’ve said a couple of our other studios are using id Tech, but that is, once again, a studio-driven decision. They decide what kind of game they want to make. If they think id Tech is a good fit, they come and take a look at it and make an evaluation, but we don’t say, ‘Hey, new studio. Guess what? You’re making a game with this.’ And they’re like, ‘Oh, shit. That doesn’t work.’ It is all driven by what makes the best game. I mean, Dishonored is using Unreal [Engine]. And it was because that’s what they were up to at the time, that’s what they had been working with, and we didn’t say, ‘You’ve got to stop using that and use our own stuff instead.’ That’s what they know, that’s what they’ve worked with before, keep going. Whatever makes the best game, we don’t care.

Atomic: Great philosophy. What’s next for Bethesda?

Pete: Oh, so many things, I wish I could tell you.

Atomic Can you hint at anything?

Pete: No, I can’t. Obviously, we’re really excited about where we are with Dishonored, and that’s our big thing for this year. But beyond that, honestly, I’ve spent the last month spending an awful lot of time looking at a lot of stuff outside of the [Elder Scrolls] MMO—which is announced—that’s not announced and not on anyone’s radar; which is both maddening and awesome. Like, to sit down with Todd or the id guys or MachineGames or all these studios, the guys down at Tango [Gameworks] and see what they’re working on and where it’s at, and what their ideas are and what gets them excited is just amazing. But then there’s this whole, I can’t tell anybody about this! I’d love to get on Twitter and say, ‘Oh, my God! You would not believe what I just saw.’ But I would rather get to see it and not be able to talk about it than be in the dark. We have so much great stuff in the pipe, but one thing we are pretty adamant about is it is much easier to announce something too early than too late. That we would rather wait until the game is really ready to pull the curtain back and reveal it and be the right timeframe between when we announce it and launch it, than to tell you right now what MachineGames is doing, but we still know we have this long period of time before it’s going to be ready that we have to fill or keep people’s interest. That’s a much more difficult thing to do in this day and age. Maybe five or 10 years ago, it wasn’t all that odd to have games… it was kind of standard, it would be 18 months or two years between when you announced it and when it came out, and you would use that time to keep building. But now I just think trying to sustain momentum and attention over such a long period of time has proven really difficult to do. I mean, look at the great line-up of stuff between now and October. It’s nonstop every week! So getting someone to pay attention to something you’re doing two years from now. ‘Okay, but I’m going to play this right now, so I’ll get back to you in a year.’

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/3 ... mes.aspx/1
UNDER MEDIA BLACKOUT
Rikitatsu

Postby PanamaRed » Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm

That was a nice read. It is good to know they are giving Mikami full creative freedom. Last time Mikami had full creative freedom he made GodHand.

I think we might be hearing about Zwei in the coming months. Reading what he said about revealing games sooner than later to their release date makes me think of Vanquish. Vanquish was revealed in January 2010 and released on October of the same year. Maybe this game will follow a similar pattern.
PanamaRed

Favorite Title: RE:Outbreak

Postby skytrot » Mar 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Spera01 wrote:This is awesome. Definitely makes me more excited for Zwei! Unlike Capcom, Bethesda won't rush the project, which gives me hope that Zwei will indeed be one awesome game.

Had Capcom rushed Mikami-san, RE4 would've never seen the light of day. They supported him and gave him so much time (5 years) that he had so many different versions of the game. Bethesda on the other hand, is notorious for publishing games with a ton of bugs and glitches. Yes they may have a larger budget then Capcom but I'm still not convinced that they are a right match.
skytrot

Postby Rikitatsu » Mar 15, 2013 2:39 pm

skytrot wrote:
Spera01 wrote:This is awesome. Definitely makes me more excited for Zwei! Unlike Capcom, Bethesda won't rush the project, which gives me hope that Zwei will indeed be one awesome game.

Had Capcom rushed Mikami-san, RE4 would've never seen the light of day. They supported him and gave him so much time (5 years) that he had so many different versions of the game. Bethesda on the other hand, is notorious for publishing games with a ton of bugs and glitches. Yes they may have a larger budget then Capcom but I'm still not convinced that they are a right match.

Last Bethesda published game I played, Dishonored, was incredibley polished.
UNDER MEDIA BLACKOUT
Rikitatsu

Postby Nemesis85 » Mar 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Major Video game industries and companies like Bethesda thrive on evolving and improving their products. It is something like Natural Selection. Competition among numerous publishers obligates them to change and become better. I hope that they listen to old-school fans and create something that meets the demands of us.
Peace.
Nemesis85

Postby skytrot » Mar 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Last Bethesda published game I played, Dishonored, was incredibley polished.

Haven't personally played that myself as I'm not a fan of stealth games. I must say that I would have preferred 2K publishing Zwei.
skytrot

Next

Return to The Evil Within | Psychobreak