40 Minutes of Leaked Gameplay from The Evil Within 2 Demo

(Latest news and updates)

40 Minutes of Leaked Gameplay from The Evil Within 2 Demo

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 25, 2017 5:55 am

Youtube user GrizWords has uploaded 40 minutes of raw gameplay from The Evil Within 2's Gamescom demo. Check out a mirror link below.

Mirror Link
Credit: Dusk Golem, Terra2500
Rikitatsu

Re: 40 Minutes of Leaked Gameplay from The Evil Within 2 Dem

Postby Rikitatsu » Aug 25, 2017 6:04 am

I might post more detailed thoughts in the future, but just some notes for now:

- I hope Seb and Juli don't talk too much, not only it is actually a forced walk, but it breaks the immersion when you have to chat away every few minutes.

- It'll take a while to get used to Seb's new whiny voice, but I'll take it...

- You can now zoom and rotate items and stuff, that's pretty cool.

- Everything about this screams " THE EVIL WITHIN"

- The atmosphere looks great

- I like how empty some parts of the city look like, so unnerving.

- Gun sounds perfect.

- Controls look like TLoU

- O'neal is a cunt
Rikitatsu

Postby dan76 » Aug 25, 2017 6:22 am

I skipped around the video, watching little sections so as not to spoil myself too much. From what I've seen it looks great. The movement does seem as if pulling back on the analogue stick now means Seb will step backwards rather than turn and face the camera. This is good. Less RE6, more TLOU.

The open area looks really great, creeping about, discovering stuff. I'm not sure about the locator device. It seems a bit easy, though it looks like you have to get within a certain vicinity of something for it to pick anything up. Still, I'd prefer a mode where you don't have it. Akumu maybe (that's if there is an Akumu).

Faith restored. If the whole game was like chapter 3 I'd be happy. Exploring, finding supplies, taking out enemies. Brilliant.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 25, 2017 6:27 am

There's a lot of small things to dissect, but despite being the mirror reuploader I've avoided watching much between the 7:00 and 28:00 mark just to avoid some spoilers, so can't comment on that (skimming I saw cutscenes and some story stuff so just clicked through to experience myself later).

I won't dissect quite yet from this large selection of footage, but for some general thoughts one thing that's far more obvious than any other seeing a big slice of gameplay without interruption is the game definitely still looks like The Evil Within. There's obviously some new stuff in it, and that's to be expected, but it still definitely has that unique Evil Within flavor. I don't think this ever gets talked about enough, but despite everyone comparing the original game to so many things (and with good reason of course, comparisons to Resident Evil, Silent Hill, films, etc., all things that it was somewhat inspired by), there's a very distinct Evil Within style/flavor which is all its own that's kind of hard to describe. Watching straight footage of the sequel all at once immediately made me know that, yup, it's an Evil Within game, but also fully realize how distinct the 'Evil Within' style really is. To the point just watching the gameplay I could immediately tell even if I saw this out of context it was The Evil Within. There's a very distinct look that The Evil Within has that other games don't really share with it, I think it's a combination of the movement, the camera, the animation, the art style, the environment, and the pacing. You can tell it's made by the same team at least, just with more experience under their belt now and no longer developer for last-gen hardware.

Also the player playing played the Union segment in a way that was a bit frustrating for me to watch, but probably for the best. He was going kind of slow and not really exploring, overly-relying on the communicator device to guide him. But for the best probably, means even when I get to that segment myself in two months I won't really know what to fully expect and can finally explore that area like I kept hoping he would.
Dusk Golem

Postby akoron17 » Aug 25, 2017 4:52 pm

God damnit, it's still deleted.
akoron17

Favorite Title: REmake
PSN: chriskilla10
XBL: ChrisHawk101
Wii U: None
Steam: akoronthebastard

Postby Autoignition » Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm

We have a download link in the discord. I can post it here when I get home from work.
Autoignition

PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Aug 25, 2017 6:31 pm

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/11552261/ ... culty-fun/

Another (probably temp) mirror upload. (though might take a second to process fully here since Metacafe is trash, do have one other back-up but taking even longer to process.)
Dusk Golem

Postby Autoignition » Aug 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Updated the OP with the download link. Looks like DG's mirror in the post above mine has already been taken down.

Credit goes to our good friend Terra2500 here on the forums, who had the foresight to save this shit asap and upload it for us. I also have a copy downloaded now, in case this link goes down too.
Autoignition

Postby Autoignition » Aug 25, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm going to post thoughts as I go through this video now. Please enjoy.

+ Loving the newspaper on the desk on the difficulty selection screen. That's literally the same paper you find in TEW1. Also, is this Sebastian's home office? It's completely dissimilar to his PD office in The Consequence.

+ The words "item management" right on the difficulty screen. Fuck. Yes.

+ Oh, there's Seb's PD office in the loading screen, as opposed to the difficulty menu. Will we travel to both in TEW2?

+ Load times look solid.

+ "You can execute a quick 180-degree turn by pressing RB while moving backward. This can be disabled in the OPTIONS menu." It's only on the screen for a split second, so I figured I'd transcribe it for those of you who are eager to dissect the controls.

+ Have to wonder if that intro will actually be in the game or if it's just a setup for the demo. It's literally just the one trailer. Seems weird to have that exposition dump and random scene imagery like that at the start of the actual real chapter 2.

+ Just the sound of the elevator moving got me choked up. That nostalgic TEW feel. There it is. Right there.

+ I want the lantern back. Not a fan of the flashlight by comparison, though it's a good video game flashlight.

+ DAT LAURA

+ As much as people bitch about sections where you run towards the camera, I really felt like that chase scene with Laura would've benefited from it. She's destroying the environment behind Sebastian, but we can't see any of it.

+ Oh wow I seriously couldn't hate Seb's new actor more if I tried. This guy really could have benefited from a first line reading before they recorded his dialogue to put into the game.

+ Not a fan of the messages that pop up on the side of the screen after Seb picks up that journal. I hope they're toggleable. Seeing "1/40 files collected" kinda ruins the immersion.

+ Kidman's new actress is so good, tho. She's really great.

+ Sebastian, shut the fuck up. I can't stand it when protagonists talk to themselves constantly. That was such a huge feature of the first game -- it was a whole lot of Seb shutting the fuck up. God. Seb. Shut. Up.

+ DAT KNIFE COMBAT. HOLY SHIT IM WET.

+ I also hope you can turn off those arrow indicators that pop up on the screen whenever Sebastian's standing close to an interactable.

+ Sebastian's character model still looks like absolute dog garbage and literally no one can convince me otherwise.

+ Riki's right. O'Neal is a cunt.

+ Sebastian I see you projecting onto O'Neal about Joseph, talkin about partners sacrificing themselves to save you. huhuhuhuhu

+ "Let's pair up our communicators" sounds weirdly sexual and I kinda wish Seb hadn't said it LMFAO

+ I HATE THE CONCEPT OF COFFEE MAKERS SO MUCH. IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF MANAGING YOUR HEALTH RESOURCES, ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE'S PROBABLY GOING TO BE ONE AVAILABLE BEFORE EVERY SINGLE BOSS FIGHT DFJHKSJFHKFJH

+ "What the... who was that?" lmao. Memories are vague things, indeed.

+ I'm down with the crafting system. I dig it.

+ I'm so asspained that this player didn't go into the mirror. I wanted to see kitty.

+ The streets falling away Silent Hill style is pretty neat.

+ Need to find parts to replace the sniper barrel! Oh, how convenient, you find out where they are if you just search the fucking body you took the gun off of. BARF. DO BETTER, JOHANAS.

+ I know a lot of people are hyped about the openness of Union, but overall I fucking hate it. I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and feeling burnt out just watching the demo. It's too big. I really, really don't like it.

+ DAT END KILL BY LAURA.

Final verdict: Still hyped. Glad to see the general feel of the first game maintained. Wish the town wasn't so fuckin huge, though.
Autoignition

Postby SutterCane » Aug 26, 2017 3:45 am

Interesting to hear more opinions, particularly that this sentiment by Auto "Sebastian, shut the fuck up. I can't stand it when protagonists talk to themselves constantly. That was such a huge feature of the first game -- it was a whole lot of Seb shutting the fuck up. God. Seb. Shut. Up." is so widely shared. All I've ever heard from most places talking about horror is how the person you play as should be a walking emotion card, that and never fire a gun because a horror game should never include action ever. It's weird to see that excess of dialogue so immediately reviled.

TEW does get compared to a lot of different things but there's a huge difference between RE1, RE4, Siren and Silent Hill. A game that encapsulate all of those widely differing things would have to have a feel unique to itself. Being able to recognise TEW as mostly still it's old self is such a relief.

Something I remembered was that the player was told to push RT to melee which I guess would mean blind fire is out, not that it had much value.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Next

Return to News and Updates