The Evil Within 2 | Race Against Time Gameplay Trailer

(Latest news and updates)

The Evil Within 2 | Race Against Time Gameplay Trailer

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 12, 2017 11:04 am

Bethesda has released a new trailer for The Evil Within 2 showcasing new environments and characters, including Theodore. Check it out below.

'Race Against Time' Trailer
Rikitatsu

Re: The Evil Within 2 | Race Against Time Gameplay Trailer

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 12, 2017 11:14 am

I think I've seen enough environments to formulate an opinion, it's unimpressive tbh... I'm willing to bet that Naoki Katakai is not working on this.

Everything they've shown sans Stefano's museum looks very stale and generic.

30 days to go.
Rikitatsu

Postby gmc1992 » Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

teddys voice sounds familiar, he must be the head of the cult from the first game judging by the symbols
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Autoignition » Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Good god the direction for this trailer is terrible. Why is the marketing like this? Why can't Bethesda just keep a consistent tone while pitching their product? This makes the game look like a shitty action movie.

Ugh god I just want the game to be out already so that I can see what it actually fucking is and not have to suffer this awful marketing campaign anymore.
Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm

I will wait to see the full thing, but I like the new art style but not sure yet if I like it more than less. It's more like I find the art direction of this game fascinating, it's like some line between realistic and stylizes, like things almost look realistic enough but there's something about the environments and the characters that don't look quite right and almost look more like they're from a Japanese horror manga or something. There's just a slight deformity and hyper striking edge to everything that it looks a bit stylistic, and the most interesting part is no matter how much I focus on a scene I never can quite put my finger on why both the characters and environments look like this to me. I like it though.

Some off hand note, this is not a full analysis but a few things and thoughts:

-Okay, so previously there was one mention to them as Haunted (the name of the 'zombies' from the original game) and I've been calling them New Haunted, but we now have an official name for the main enemy force as Kidman names them at the start of the trailer, they're called "Losts", which makes sense. They've been 'lost' to STEM, basically people who have lost themselves in STEM. We do know there's special breeds of Losts as well, including Hysterics.

-Pretty much known at this point, but Theodore the Priest is definitely part of the cult from the original game, their logo is literally all over in the parts with Theodore. Also, I like Theodore's voice!

-So I kind of suspected this from the media we had released, but this confirms it; There's color coding with the villains in the game. That's very interesting. With Stefano there's a lot of Blues, and with Theodore there's a lot of Reds. Thematically you have the art/religion angles too, but both also have an element/color thing going on. Stefano has rain and blue tones everywhere. Theodore has fire and red tones everywhere.

-So we're starting to get more of a look at the other agents of Mobius who came into STEM before us, and seems there's some officer we get closer with than the others who we partner up with in some scene. This isn't completely new to TEW, the original had some segments where you teamed-up with Joseph. But the systems look evolved and seem to be some partner action stuff, which I'm fine with. Looks like the location you were with her through is a subway tunnel system.

-This is easy to miss, but we see some scenes in broad daylight. It's some foggy forest that looks like it recently rained, but it's clearly daylight in some of the scenes. I actually love this area, it looks like you're going through a forest of mist with some decaying buildings.

-We also see what seems like a new area of Union, but one that's undoubtedly part of Theodore's turf. The sky is red, the place is burning, there's a smog over the part of the town, and there's some new enemy types I was certain were associated with him due to the cult/fire deal.

-I'm really curious what's going on during the 'ring of fire' bit in the trailer. There's obviously a circle of fire that's moving, and someone is glowing blue (which in a previous trailer we saw someone glowing blue when a giant eye was looking at them). Making some segment where a ring of fire envelopes you and you have to stay in the ring? Just a cinematic touch (as we see this in a cutscene)? Though this seems more like Theodore than Stefano, and the previous glowing blue character was definitely Stefano related, but I wonder what it means, and if the ring of fire has any gameplay elements.

-I'm noticing there's a theme where the villains have some damaged part of themselves which plays a role with them. IE, Stefano is missing an eye, he covers it with his hair but we see a glowing eye underneath in some scenes. Theodore has a burn mark on his temple, and in one scene he puts two fingers up to his burn mark. With a giant camera eye and cameras being part of Stefano and fire being such a big part of Theodore, that's definitely not coincidence there.

Just a few stray things.
Last edited by Dusk Golem on Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusk Golem

Postby SutterCane » Sep 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I really wanted to know that there would still be a few action heavy moments still in the game and that it wouldn't all be stealth viable. This worked for me on that level even though I'm not keen to see a partner. I can see the issues where they cut the build up to the stealth kills and make the game look like a string of Shadow of Mordor style knife kills but I bet that works to draw a lot of people in.

Buzzsaw Laura in the streets of Union was interesting though with a Ruvik blue tint on the screen and a ghostly aura around her. Seemed too big of an area to be a proper boss fight so I wonder if it's a random event.
SutterCane

Favorite Title: This, DC1 or RE

Postby Dusk Golem » Sep 12, 2017 1:50 pm

SutterCane wrote:I really wanted to know that there would still be a few action heavy moments still in the game and that it wouldn't all be stealth viable. This worked for me on that level even though I'm not keen to see a partner. I can see the issues where they cut the build up to the stealth kills and make the game look like a string of Shadow of Mordor style knife kills but I bet that works to draw a lot of people in.

Buzzsaw Laura in the streets of Union was interesting though with a Ruvik blue tint on the screen and a ghostly aura around her. Seemed too big of an area to be a proper boss fight so I wonder if it's a random event.

I think the blue tint means something related to Laura actually. In the leaked gameplay, Poltergeist Laura appears in the Union section (like on the streets), and when she does the screen tint turns blue. The screen also tints blue right before the side quest part where you get into a gameplay scenario with Poltergeist Laura. We see it in this trailer on the streets with Giggling Guardian Laura. Also in the Gameplay Trailer (released after the E3 trailer), we see a scene with some hunched over creature that runs by while the screen is tinted blue. But now that I've heard more of Laura and watch it again, I actually think this hunched over creature in the distance who runs off might actually be ANOTHER form of Laura, but guess we'll see.

It might mean special enemy, but it might be more related to Laura at this point.
Dusk Golem

Postby dan76 » Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm

... great... another co-op section. There's a quick shot of Seb and a dark haired woman mowing down Losts. Why?

On another note I like the more realistic approach to the environments, but then again I liked the last third of the first game. It a bit action heavy, but that's ok by me as long as these sequences are well thought out and paced. It looks like RE4 part 3.
dan76

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: durangodan76
XBL: durango76uk

Postby gmc1992 » Sep 12, 2017 3:40 pm

[quote="dan76"]... great... another co-op section. There's a quick shot of Seb and a dark haired woman mowing down Losts. Why?

hopefully its just one or two sections like the first game and the A.I is good. I still dont understand why this is still a thing in horror games, all I want is a game where its just you and no one following you around
gmc1992

Favorite Title: resident evil 4

Postby Rikitatsu » Sep 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll tolerate this A.I companion as long as they don't overstay their welcome, which they probably won't since TEW2 is open, and A.I tends to fumble in open areas.

That said, I would've liked Joseph or Kidman as companions instead of a new character...

Dusk Golem wrote:-This is easy to miss, but we see some scenes in broad daylight. It's some foggy forest that looks like it recently rained, but it's clearly daylight in some of the scenes. I actually love this area, it looks like you're going through a forest of mist with some decaying buildings.

It's too bad that you have that A.I companion with you in that level :( Kinda ruins the atmosphere... I love foggy forests.
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to News and Updates