Tango Gameworks' Official Website Re-Launched

(Latest news and updates)

Tango Gameworks' Official Website Re-Launched

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 03, 2016 7:54 am

Tango's official was down for a long time and used to re-direct to The Evil Within's official website, but today, it's back online, and it got a face lift. The new site contains interviews with staff members, a recruitment page, and a statement from Mikami, where one get the impression he might not direct the next project. Some pages are available in English, as well as Japanese, we will update this post if the entire site gets an English version, in the meantime, check it out in the link below.

Tango Gameworks' Official Website
Rikitatsu

Re: Tango Gameworks' Official Website Re-Launched

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 03, 2016 8:30 am

Something caught my interest in the new Tango website... it could be something... it could be nothing. just though I'd point it out.

The concept art pinned behind this staff member looks colorful and vibrant. Not exactly suitable for The Evil Within 2.. So, new IP?

I'll take a new IP, Tango. I know people may be disappointed with that, but I don't want Tango to be "That TEW studio" and just keep churning out sequels...

Anyhow, seems like Mikami won't direct the next game. He is refereed to as "Studio Head", and he said the following in his statement:

:( :( :( Come back, Mikami! The world did not have enough of your games yet!
Rikitatsu

Postby kosmos within » Feb 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Looks like he could be in the producer or even executive producer role more than anything (just speculating).
kosmos within

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 03, 2016 1:06 pm

kosmos within wrote:Looks like he could be in the producer or even executive producer role more than anything (just speculating).

That's the most likely scenario.

On the bright side, Mikami as a producer has fostered brilliant game developers like Hideki Kamiya and Shu Takumi... If being a producer means a new generation of great developers will be born, then I'm okay with it.

Still, I'll miss Mikami's games. A true legend.
Rikitatsu

Postby Autoignition » Feb 03, 2016 4:47 pm

lmao Mikami. I'm sure the story will change again in a few months. "I'm retiring!" "No, I'm not retiring, I love my job too much." "Well, maybe I'll just stop directing." How long have we been hearing this out of him? :P Considering John Johanas's Aryan mug is there under "Game Designer" maybe it's hinting that he is, in fact, the lead director on the new project...? That would be interesting.

But with regards to those photos behind that one staff member, I think they're just concept arts from the first game. They look a lot like the ones in this pic, which are a bit clearer and you can make out Seb and Kidman, etc.

Autoignition

Favorite Title: Resident Evil 4
PSN: Autoignition

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 04, 2016 3:12 am

Autoignition wrote:lmao Mikami. I'm sure the story will change again in a few months. "I'm retiring!" "No, I'm not retiring, I love my job too much." "Well, maybe I'll just stop directing." How long have we been hearing this out of him? :P

Actually, He never said he will retire, only that he will step away for the director seat, and he only said it once before, when he founded Tango. Seems like Bethesda talked him into the director chair again, maybe to market TEW as "Directed by The Godfather of Survival Horror".

As for the concept art, it does look too vibrant even compared to TEW's concept art. The color palatte seems cartoonish.
Rikitatsu

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 04, 2016 1:05 pm

It's a good time to revisit this Polygon article. http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/ ... vil-within

Here are some select quotes:

Four years ago, game director Shinji Mikami noticed a problem with Japan's game industry. He felt the wrong people were getting the right opportunities.

Looking around, he saw game publishers reserving director positions for veteran staff members — people over 40 who were often set in their ways.

"If you're over 40, you're somewhat out of touch with the people buying your games," says Mikami, "and when you're young you don't know enough about the industry. When you're in your 30s you have the right balance — you're energetic and have your ego and can focus without distractions, but you have enough experience to manage people and know the business."

Then at 44, he founded independent team Tango Gameworks in an attempt to help others do the same. The studio's "top priority," he says, is to train and give chances to young creators. Shortly after founding the company, Mikami even spoke publicly about directing one final game and then stepping back and handing over the reins to younger directors.

But sometimes plans change.

Publicly, when Mikami started Tango he didn't announce a specific project. In an interview with Japan's Famitsu magazine at the time, he spoke about his desire to cultivate a new group of game directors who could focus on their creativity.

. Mikami envisioned the studio as a place that could sustain more than one project at a time, in order to create a culture not tied to any one genre and offer more opportunities for young directors. It would develop some small projects, some large.

Following Bethesda's acquisition, Mikami says he still wants Tango to become a studio that produces multiple games at a time, but it's not his decision alone.

"The overall company goals remain unchanged, but since Bethesda's first goal was to make a big triple-A title, that's what we're doing first," says Mikami.

As he's gotten older, Mikami says he's become more reasonable, more willing to compromise. He doesn't try to overreach as much. He's had two children. He admits to seeing changes in himself, saying he doesn't have the same energy level he used to and he's not as hard on his team as he used to be.

Tango Producer Masato Kimura points to an example from approximately 12 years ago. Kimura worked as a VFX artist under Mikami on the GameCube Resident Evil 1 remake, and he remembers Mikami had a specific vision in mind for how the last scene in the game should look. To explain himself, Mikami sat next to Kimura for two full days going over every detail in the scene. "He wouldn't do that now, but when he was in his 30s he would," says Kimura.

I
t was this line of thinking that made news in 2010. In an interview with Famitsu shortly after joining Bethesda, Mikami said that his first game for Tango would be the last he would direct himself, in part to create opportunities for others.

Those comments led to reports online of Mikami planning to retire as a director, which he says didn't go over well with higher-ups at Bethesda and may not end up being true.

"I probably shouldn't have said that," says Mikami. "My bosses were pretty upset. That was something I decided before I started Tango, that the next project would be my last. ... I was thinking back then that I would have to spend more time managing the studio and training people rather than directing. But now because Tango is part of Bethesda, I have less management overhead. So I have more time to get involved with a game than I originally thought I would."

At this point, Mikami says he doesn't know who will direct Tango's next game. It might be him. It might be someone else at Tango. In his interview answers, he bounces back and forth between his desires to lead projects and to give team members chances to lead their own.

Just prior to the Tokyo Game Show in September 2013, Mikami began telling the team at Tango that he had identified three team members who he thinks are capable of directing games at the company in the future.

They are Evil Within lead game designer Shigenori Nishikawa, art director Naoki Katakai and lead concept artist Ikumi Nakamura. "Each of them has different things that stand out," Mikami says. "Nishikawa is good at managing people and taking care of team members. Katakai is great at visualizing the world he imagines. And Nakamura, I can't ever predict what she'll think of. It's so unique."

He seems to feel conflicted about the best way to handle work. He wants to give team members freedom to grow, but worries about giving them too much freedom. He has "many" games he wants to make before he retires, but he also wants to train a new generation to make its own.

Mikami says he has no idea what Tango will look like in 10 years. "I hope it's a fun place to work," he says. "The top priority when I started Tango was to train young people, so 10 years from now I'm going to be interested to see how well I did. Whether or not we have successful IP will depend on that."

This was back in 2013. Seems like Mikami wasn't sure who will direct the next game, but the recent statement in the official website makes it sounds like he won't be directing it... OR he managed to convience Bethesda to allow for multiple projects at once, a goal he set for Tango. Which could explain the colorful concept art above... Maybe it's a side project that's been directed by a rookie director.

Also, he mentioned three nominees, Nishikawa, Katakai, and Nakamura. If I had to guess, I'll say it's Katakai... Because Ikumi Nakamura is still featured as a 'concept artist' in the career category of the website... And Nishikawa already directed a game, so he is a veteran... So that leaves out Katakai.
Rikitatsu

Postby Morir es vivir » Feb 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Katakai for the win!!!!
Morir es vivir

Favorite Title: REmake-DCut-TEW

Postby Nemesis85 » Feb 11, 2016 7:47 am

Well I jut checked the "Career" section, and the requirements are not as harsh as other places. something that caught my attention is that previously you had to know Japanese,(in one e-mail I received about a year ago, they said you have to be "fluent" in Japanese,) but now it says communication in English.
Nemesis85

Postby Rikitatsu » Feb 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Just noticed this (Again, does not mean much, but I think it's kinda cool)

Enhance!

More...

Hmm, that looks familiar...

Game Designers are usually told by the director (or from their own diligence) to play certain games for research purposes ... To study certain game elements like mechanics and level design, etc... It warms my heart to see Bloodborne sitting there. One of my favorite games in recent times.

I wonder if they are trying to make a similar game in structure (or one that borrows from it's game design).
Rikitatsu

Next

Return to News and Updates